My name is Martin Johnson but I go by Skip. I am Junior majoring in Marketing and am from Minneapolis, Minnesota. One of my biggest interests is world travel and experiencing other cultures. This is why I joined the organization Alternative Break Program a few years ago. Over the past winter break, I led a trip of students to Ghana to work with an NGO.
One of my worries about the class is that I won't learn enough about material I'm interested in. I think Marty will do a great job though. A new idea I enjoyed from the first class was thinking about man made designs. Something so simple like a door has so much thought put into it. This alone made me look at other objects differently and notice HCI in articles I've read this week.
Very interesting post Martin. What kind of material are you seeking to learn about? There are several programs around the world that need design work. Sure there are interfaces to design, products to be made, but Strategic Design is something I believe will speak to you. To be good at design, just learning about the basics that Marty shows you (and in the Masters it's a like drinking from a firehose) opens your mind to see how to really design solutions that not only work, but change people's lives by drastically improving it. You should ask Marty about it! We can turn you onto some really interesting articles that will blow your mind.
ReplyDeleteI thought there may be a bit more programing and design involving this instead of purely sketches. I do believe the concepts we have been learning are a great foundation however.
ReplyDeleteI'm interested in design for games for IOS and Android so I guess that is a bit specific.