The application I chose is the Flipboard application "the stuff you care about all in one place". The design is one of the more obvious ones I've seen. The interface works flawlessly and and is very intuitive. Touching an article or flipping are the only two moves a user makes. Flipping across the screen encompasses the entire navigation process. It's so simple, yet this is the first app really to do this. As seen below, the interface is set up to be aesthetically pleasing yet not overwhelming. The cover stories and interests are displayed using a tile format. One instantly knows where to go and how. The great thing is that even as you make commands and move through the interface, the setup stays the same. One can view story after related story or jump around with complete ease.
The content is also an obvious design as one can connect their favorite social media sites to the Flipboard and fully integrate them. The app is completely personal and customizable according to ones social media, magazines, news, and other media preferences. With all the customization, as shown below, everything is still relatively easy to find. One never gets to the point where they are lost or looking for help to get somewhere. In fact, as you discover more of what you like, Flipboard will start to adjust to your preferences and recommend media for you.
Link to Flipboard example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dU6Gzc3JA#t=27
I would add that content is obviously separated out into sections - stating that the design is obvious to use (flipping and scrolling) may not be the case. Though more and more are familiar with touch-screen displays, giving this design to someone who has never used a touch-screen phone maybe confused. Just something to consider when looking for how obvious something is - how obvious is it's function.
ReplyDeleteJordan, I would argue that someone who has never used a touch-screen phone would never use this software (so why design for them?). As the software is for a mobile smart phone, to physically open up the application you would need a mobile phone. Therefore, a user who has never used a touch-screen phone would never come into contact with the app (without first figuring out how to use a phone) and be confused.
ReplyDeleteI agree about the obvious separation into sections. I could have expanded on this more than I did.