Monday, February 17, 2014

5 - Martin Johnson

I believe it is really difficult to let go of features because you individually came up with them. I have a much more biased view then if I was critically examining a re-design of someone's I didn't know. Also, the fact that you made it yourself in that specific way, was your best effort put forth. This makes it very hard to think of a simpler design because you, in you mind, have already given it your best shot. 

One quote that spoke to me from the text was right away in the beginning. I felt it spoke for the whole chapter, "An obvious interface is one that is focused on what's most important and leaves out the things that are simply nice to have." One has to be willing to get rid of the clutter and make the design so obvious that the user isn't thinking about the software. It's like when in class we discussed how no one is thinking about the Microsoft Word software until they have to make a table or some other odd feature not normally performed. 

Features I would be willing to drop from our project 3 design are are the ability for the user to scroll and find recommended videos. This complicates the task and you can see why I am happy to drop this from the results of the questions below. 

Unnecessary Test:
1. Is there more than one way to complete the task this feature suppports?
Yes, I feel there are multiple ways, especially simpler than the ones we provided. 
2. Does this feature  contribute directly to the completion of the task?
Yes, it is designed to give choices to the user in a condensed and quickly understandable format.
3. Is the task this feature supports vital to the activity this application supports?
No. It in fact makes the menu after a video finishes a little more complicated. 

1. What are the circumstances of the situation my applicaton is meant to support?
An easier to navigate menu screen after a YouTube video has concluded. Either the next video will automatically play or you can quickly choice a choice. I now see that giving so many options (more than a 2-3) creates to much confusion and time lost.

2. If this application didn't exist, what would I want from the situation if I could wave a magic wand
The video you want to see most next plays right away. Simple and nothing you have to do or screens to decipher. 
3. How long will it take to rebuild my application to make it do what's stated above?
Too long. It is impossible right now. However, I think keeping the automatic play is still great. Removing a multitude of choices though to maybe 2-3 without a scroll bar would make our design much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment