When I want to fix some code and I would just go to W3 School or Code Academy to help me. In most cases, I look up on the internet on how to solve my problem rather than go through the default help system of a program or application. Though for some people going through the program's actual help system is very helpful. I think that help systems are good for what they are design to do, which is to teach you how to use a program or application that you have never used before.
Are help systems substitutes for good design? I personally don’t
think they are. Designs can be good but it can always be improved upon. There
is no such thing as a prefect design. I feel that there always needs to be a
help or tutorial system for people no matter what. Even if the designs were
better and more “obvious” it still is never perfect because perfection is unattainable.
The persona that we are developing for in project 5 is the
fan base. We need to think about the fans and what their likes and dislikes of
a superhero are and design for that. We are also designing for the toys as well
as for whomever buys the toys. It can be a new weapon or vehicle that they superhero
somehow acquired. We are also kind of designing for the super hero but the thing
is the superheroes are not real and the fans are. Making a persona will better
help us make an item for that superhero because we want the item to fit the
superhero. We want something that the fans will think fits into the schema of
the superhero’s world.
I agree that help systems may not be necessary if the design is good enough. However I believe that in some pieces of software you cannot go without a help system. These would be very complex pieces of software that a help system would compliment very well.
ReplyDelete