I think HELP systems are a very good idea; especially after readying chapter six. Designers of software focus on intermediate users because very few people become experts and the beginners learn at a high rate. However, it is very important to give beginners the means to smoothly make the jump to intermediate status. HELP systems like online help and tutorials give the beginners just this without getting in the way of the intermediate users. This idea was highlighted in designing the obvious as very important. If accomplished, it is a win win because intermediate users are not bugged by beginner tools and beginners quickly move to an intermediate stage which most software is designed around.
I do however think that good use of instructive design can point beginners to the right places without having intermediates noticing unnecessary hoops that need to be jumped through. I believe tutorials can be useful but if something can be designed instructively than that is optimal. People don't like to read instructions and go through help wizards. If the end goal can be reached with instructive design then this should be the method used. In some cases, I think HELP systems are substituted for good design because it is the easy route to take; Just throw together a wizard and your user has a place to go for help. This is much easier to do than make an intuitive and seamless software.
Regarding categories of people to focus on for project five when developing a persona there are many choices. I believe that the persona will depend more upon who you are leaning on more for a target audience. This could be any people from the hardcore comic fans, the comic designers, children product consumers (and their parents), cinema producers, toy designers, and many other types of people.
I like your comments on the fact that people do not like to read instructions. They just want to get it on their own. I also liked your comment on the balance between beginners and intermediates. I agree it's important to not make the intermediates jump through hoops.
ReplyDeleteYour thoughts on the different preferences of intermediate vs beginner users is interesting and true. I think it is important that if the designer does decide the product needs a tutorial, that they consciously design it so the intermediate users are not slowed and deterred from using it in the future.
ReplyDelete